Search Engine Optimization or SEO in short is employing some tactics to increase the organic traffic on a website. In this article, we are going to talk about an important part of SEO i.e., domain name. Google made some changes that influenced domain names very much. This was done to deal with companies that are trying to improve their rankings, augmenting their SEO with weak websites that featured an EMD (Exact Match Domain). these sites did not have much content to offer, they had just few web pages with a lot of keywords. So Google dropped the value of these practices.
What is domain name and what is the function of domain name in SEO? Let’s find that out.
What is Domain name?
Domain names are particular, human-readable Internet addresses of websites. They includes three components
- A top level domain
- A domain name
- And an optimal sub domain.
Domain name and top level domain name collectively is known as Root Domain.
Function of domain name in SEO
- The first step in the direction of constructing a successful website is getting a domain name. After that, work needs to be done on setting up the website. SEO is the most effective way to accomplish that
- SEO methods ensure that your website remains in top results of the search engine. Implementing top class SEO practices is vital to get in the top search results. SEO offers long term results unlike SEM. Paid results don’t last long once you turn the ads off. That being said, SEO may take a little time to work but its results are long term as they are organic.
- So, in a manner SEO plays a main function in making a website successful. But how does domain name influences SEO?
- SEO and domain name are not separate they go hand in hand. A good domain name helps your SEO practices to ensure that better results are obtained.
- Google or other search engines use certain elements as ranking factor to test the quality of the domain name. Earlier, keywords in domain name used to be a major ranking factor hence, search engines paid a lot of attention to provide keywords rich domain names. But that has modified a little over time. Now numerous other factors are coming onboard. Now besides keywords, an essential aspect that work out the SEO value of a domain name are its popularity and reputation as a brand and authority.
- Google prefers those domain names that are already popular and big. SEO isn’t all about few keywords. Everybody prefers well-established brands over new players that enter the market. Likewise, Google also likes brands more; consequently it prefers to show already established brands in top search results.
- The authority factor is a major ranking factor utilized by search engines these days. And it has won greater significance in recent times.
How to make a good domain name
You need to focus on few points while making domain name to make it SEO-friendly
- Your domain name should not be too complicated and too tough to recollect. It must be easy to recollect and it should mirror your brand. It must be relevant.
- Domain name must be easy to spell so that visitors can type it easily.
- It is best if it is short. That manner it is fairly easy to spell and remember. Avoid including extras like hyphens. On an average, most of the top website has a 9 letter domain name.
- Uniqueness is what makes something stand out. So it is essential to ensure that the domain name is one of a kind.
- You might as well use some words that speak for yourself like great or top notch which sends a message that you are the best.
In this vast frontier wherein there are tons of websites on a single theme. It is vital to comply with tips that makes you unique so that you are easy to discover. These tactics makes your overall digital marketing strategy better. Making a good domain name is very vital. By following above factors you may ensure that you are still in the game combating with big giants out there.
Just get in touch for more informative and interesting articles like this.